Friday, February 06, 2009

From Now on Mamma's Instinct Rules

This past week I've tried to play the part of the non-nagging supportive wife. The wife who gets her husbands opinion, and even though she disagrees with it, supports his decision because she wants to show that she believes he's just as competent a parent. Well ... this decision resulted me getting a lecture from a doctor for 30 minutes this morning in regards to our son's ear infection. And now, sample sent to the lab, two new prescriptions and a husband who has apologized ... I no longer care if I become that nagging wife. At least D is fully aware of this and will comply going forward. I mean, I know he feels bad, but if he would have taken him to the regular pediatrician instead of just a quick retail clinic, I wouldn't have had to feel like a dumbass as the doctor took the gooey infectious material out of K's ear.

Of course, being the super kid he is, K just went with the flow. Let the doc do what she had to do and then proceed to cry when we got to the pharmacy, "Momma, we can't go grocery shopping, daddy's not here!" (yes, we're that routine that our two-year-old can easily tell when something's astray) Then, of course the most frustrating part ... having to waste 25 minutes for the Rx to be filled. I know this is an arbitrary number created so that I will spend time wondering around the store and putting more items in my cart. And it sort of worked, the guilt I had for putting my son through this ordeal gained him a movie and a book.

The best part of the whole fiasco was that I ended up getting to spend the day with the most fabulous boy in the world. Of course, I did have to entertain him with his knight get-up as he pretended to be High King Peter from Narnia and I had to bow as his loyal subject. (And yes, he has the entire outfit -- helmet, breastplate, shield, sword and sheath. Perhaps, the only two-year-old who even knows what a sheath is ... ) But it's the precious moments and memories that I will treasure forever. And of course, now I have just a little more leverage in the parenting decisions -- at least when it comes to anything health-related.

No comments: