Friday, December 09, 2011

The Soothing Power of Red

Red wine that is. There is something poetic about sipping a smooth glass of red wine in the fall and winter. The way it glides down your throat and warms your belly. The delicate fruit that dances on your tongue. The very subtle calming effect it has after a rough week.

I treat my self to wine primarily on the weekends, and then it is typically at most one glass. I used to treat myself during the week ... but it actually made me tired the next day. So in my efforts to lessen my sugar intake, I also decided wine was a weekend-only treat (with exceptions for holidays and celebratory occasions.)

It actually makes the few glasses I enjoy even more special and scouring the wine list at restaurants is an adventure. I wish D enjoyed wine (I'd feel less guilty about knowing that I am only drinking half a bottle in a weekend ... and the other half usually meets the drain in the sink.) Alas, my lovely teetolling husband is who he is, and I embrace that, too.

So, as I sit here and sip a beautiful red blend from France, I hope that you are enjoying whatever pleases you most, too.

No comments: