Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Awkward One

Earlier this week, I attended a parents meeting at K's school. His principal (who I absolutely loved) was appointed to a new role in the district and so the school is on the search for a new principal ... and fast ... since school starts in less than a month. As part of the process, the district held a parents meeting to hear from parents what we wanted in a new principal.

There was a decent turn out - or at least more people showed up than a typical PTO meeting. I am guessing there were maybe 20 - 30 parents (mostly moms, but there was one dad -- kudos to him!) The district's HR person outlined the process, and explained how everything would work. As someone who's experienced the hiring process multiple times from all different perspectives, I just politely nodded and listened.

Then she opened it up to the parents to hear what they had to say. First, I learned that apparently the principal before K's principal was a real piece of work. And apparently that is why many people showed up, because more than anything they want to make sure they don't get a principal like him again. I also learned previous to that principal, the principal before him had been there for 30 years and parents loved him. So when he retired and was replaced by this dolt, it sent the school morale crashing. The current principal had done a lot of work over two years to change the culture. It was eye-opening, because I had only experienced the great principal.

It was interesting, my contributions to the list of what we want in a principal ... innovation and someone with a vision for the school ... and hello, corporate world. But I guess in my mind, maybe that's why ... but I also think it was because the existing principal exhibited both these things. However, as I sat there, I realized I don't know if I'll ever be one of the mom's that hangs out and chat with the other moms. I felt that I didn't belong. I clearly wasn't the only working mom, because a few others chimed in about how they appreciated the principal's newsletter, because they were working parents who couldn't stop in during the school day.

I wish I could place why I didn't think I fit in. Maybe it was because we live in a neighborhood that has such a blend of households and no one near us has kids our children's age ... or maybe it's partly that we aren't the type to make a concerted effort to get to know our neighbors ... I don't know. K has friends who we drive to for playdates, a lot of them live on the other side of the main highway, and I know that neighborhood is teeming with kids his age and all the parents know each other ... so maybe we just picked the wrong neighborhood from a get-to-know-you perspective. Or maybe I am just so settled into who my friends are that I don't want to open the gate for a lot of new people to enter, because having to much of a social calendar is draining?

Who knows. What I do know is as I sat there (and when I sit in every PTO meeting) that I am there, but I am probably not going to make a bunch of new friends. But that's okay, that's not why I go. I go so that I can be informed and involved in my children's education.

No comments: