Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Harry Potter Weekend

Last weekend, for some crazy reason as D and I were talking we thought it would be fun to create a Harry Potter weekend for the boys. To pull such a weekend off needed some preparation. First, we needed to acquire all of the movies. We have the first five movies, and for the last two years I've asked for the 8 movie-set, but alas, never received it. So, after some comparison shopping online, I found a great deal for the BluRay 8-movie set. (I was sort of amazed at the price discrepancies I found online for the exact same item.)

Movies secured, next up was the careful plotting of the menu and time table to watch the movies. Fortunately, a lot of people like to document their Harry Potter parties and so there were food ideas aplenty!

We decided to start Friday night (8 movies clocking in at almost 3 hours each ... yeah, we needed to spread them out over three days.) We decided to keep the menu somewhat simple and keep our weekly pizza night plan. However we accompanied it with hot butter beer and chocolate frogs (hearts). So, as we snuggled in to watch Sorcerer's Stone we had our first Harry Potter bites:

Let's start with the butter beer ... there are hundreds of recipes out there. So it took a lot of comparison to determine which one to attempt to make. We decided to go with Feast or Fiction's brew. What I particularly liked about their options were that they used minimal ingredients and they had a hot and cold option. We let K choose which one to try first. He wanted to go hot. Let me say it is yummy, very kid-friendly (no soda) and warmed our tummies. The boys didn't like it as much as D and I did (in fact, as soon as D saw that O didn't like it, he took his mug.) It was definitely a great, sleepy time elixir. We followed up our pizza with what was supposed to be chocolate frogs, but since the store didn't have frog molds, we went with heart molds:

D made this and they are filled with a peanut butter and jelly filling. They were good, but one was enough due to the richness of the treat.

--

Saturday morning, K and I started our day off with a run. I always enjoy it when K wants to run with me, but it also means I don't quite get in the full workout I aim to achieve. However, spending quality time with my son is far more important. When we returned, we got ready to unleash the Chamber of Secrets and enjoy a Hogwart's- worthy breakfast courtesy of D:

Yes, upon all the research D and I did for this weekend, we learned they eat a lot of "regular" food at Hogwart's and so we could just enjoy a comforting breakfast of pancakes sausage and coffee.  In the Prisoner of Azkaban, there's a specific mention of hot chocolate during the scene where Harry is getting on the Knight Bus. So we decided to try some spiced hot cocoa and "biscuits" as our treat during the third movie. (The boys had vanilla wafers and I had some nut-thins.)

It's probably important to mention, that while the boys were watching the movies ... they definitely weren't always sitting still. They were casting their own spells, dancing around, and playing, too. It was a very interactive affair. As we began Goblet of Fire, I retreated to the kitchen to make dinner. It was right about here where I wished I had my own house elves to help. D ended up being my house elf and helped make the filling for our Cornish pasties (important to note, that we used this recipe for the dough, but improvised the filling):

These were quite hearty, but also very good. The boys also enjoyed them, so they may be something we look at putting into our rotation. It was also a way to get the boys to eat cabbage with out even knowing! We quenched our thirst with cold butter beer this time:

It was tasty, but I think D and I preferred the hot version a little bit more. However, I can definitely see why people like the sweetness of the drink. (We also drank a lot of Life Elixir over the weekend, which was just our fancy name for water ... but it still made it feel special.)

For dessert, we went with an English favorite called treacle tart. With many versions to be found of this treat, I decided to use Madame Rosmerta's recipe. It seemed like one of the more basic ones and since it was on a popular Harry Potter site, I told myself it was one of the more authentic versions:


Surprisingly good (consider treacle sounds frightening) it was a nice way to end the evening as we tucked in to watch Order of the Phoenix. Of course, if you are familiar with the series, it is so hard to stop at this movie, because everything is getting so exciting, but somehow we timed it so the movie ended at about 8:30 which was perfect to put K to bed (O went to bed a little earlier, but we figured it was okay.) This way, he would get enough rest for swimming and still have 3 movies to look forward to on Sunday.

Tomorrow: how we wrapped up the weekend.

No comments: