Sunday, April 14, 2013

Boys this is Culture, Culture this is Boys

This weekend, I decided to introduce K and O to the theatre. You know, live actors on a stage, interaction, a crowd.

I happened to find an advertisement for a play based on the book Zen Shorts. It happens to be one of our family's favorite books by J. Muth. It's one in a series of books that follow the adventures of three children and a panda named Stillwater. This particular story is about the children first meeting the panda and the lessons he teaches them through stories. It's really lovely and I highly recommend anyone add it to their library.

The show was taking place at Stages Theatre, and they specialize in productions for children of all ages. This means the shows are usually under an hour, have a bit more interaction and ... well, you know you are surrounded by families with other small children. D is not a fan of theatre, so he very nicely told me I was on my own with this adventure.

Saturday came and I bundled my boys up into the car (because, yes, it's snowing here in April) and we were off on our way. Overall the play was great ... the smile on K's face as he watched the play was priceless. O laughed at bits, but he was also O, so it was hard for him to sit still (even thought it was only a 50-minutes show) and there was the moment when he tried to run from the back row where we were seated to the stage to join the cast. Yes, I am sure there were a few parents who didn't appreciate my youngest child's energy ... but I will say I didn't get any nasty glares (thank goodness) and my son wasn't the only son making noise ...

However, five minutes left into the show ... he yelled loudly (but hopefully not as loud as I fear) that he had to go potty. This is when fear struck me a bit. We were far from the door ... and he's used this tactic to get out of the movie theater when he's had it with the movie. So, I had to risk it. I told him to hush ... and I held him up so we were standing in the back. I said we had five minutes left ... and then I prayed that he didn't really have to go and that I wouldn't get a wet present.

Fortunately, he lasted through the show and then we beelined to the restroom.

A couple mental notes for next time: make sure they go to the bathroom before the show, sit closer to the door ... and maybe sneak in a lollipop to keep O quiet.

It was worth it, and I hope to take the boys more the rest of the year.

No comments: