Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Proper Hygiene and the Bus - oxymoron?

Perhaps it's the summer, perhaps it's the bus I ride, but lately, every time someone sits next to me I have to hold my breathe for the remainder of the trip.

Previously I detailed such an occassion:

Monday, June 25

Stinky, Smelly Bus Man
I usually sit at the front of the bus - so I can conveniently exit and be on my way. Today, I sat in the very front sit and was just settling in with my trashy mag du jour. Then, without warning, this huge, smelly goliath sits on top of me!


Now, there were ample number of seats that he could have selected and even had a seat to himself. But no, he decided to toture me.

Let me paint the picture - he was the missing brother from the famed musical "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." Probably 6'4", 275 and he smelled as though no one had ever educated him on the finer users of deodorant antisperperant or the concept of daily hygiene. Not only that, when I mentioned earlier that he sat on top of me - the main was trying to take up the entire seat. I almost got up and moved - but I realized I wasn't sure what proper ettiquette is for this situation. The whole ride I just tried to squeeze myself more and more into the very corner of the seat - I was plastered against the window practically. I felt his stench permeating next to me and had to do my best to read on the latest news of the Jolie-Pitts to be distracted.

I got off the bus at the very first stop- and I know I let out an audible sigh when I got out of the seat. It may have been rude, but I've never been so disgusted in my entire life - I mean this man was truly the most disgusting, vile creature I've ever encountered. Ugh! I get the heebeejeebees just thinking about it.

Alas, today, it happened again. Due to my inconvenient bus stop on the way home, I often get stuck in the back of the bus. There were plenty of other open sits, but this sweaty, old man had to sit next to me. Of course, not only did he sit next to me ruining my aura with his odor, but he was reading my US Weekly over my shoulder - or should I say he was ogling my US over my shoulder. While I cannot give up my preferred transport, I send out a simple plea to all bus riders. Make sure you shower, and if you don't - just light sprays of cologne - too much is not a good thing!

1 comment:

Erin J said...

Just found your blog. love it! And I especially love the mention of my favorite movie =)
Erin