Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Independence of a Toddler

I've made a parental observation, that only time will tell me is accurate. I believe we are all born with a set amount of independence. Depending on how that independence is cultivate it can grow or it can fade away. Now when I say a set amount of independence, I don't mean that every human being is granted the same amount at birth -- it's just that you're given your quota at the beginning.


I think that my very independent toddler has unearthed this theory. If he knows he is capable of achieving a task, then by no means can you assist. If he's not sure, then you must absolutely let him try first. If he wants to carry the grocery bag up the stairs (even though it weighs at least half his body weight) I must let him at least thing he is doing it... fortunately the bag is big enough, he doesn't realize I'm carrying it from underneath.


The other night at dinner, enjoying what I call the fastest dinner imaginable (soup and bread) he wanted to demonstrate his vast culinary abilities. He proceeded to mash his bread in his soup bowl and then sprinkle it with his milk. Then, very enthusiastically I must say, he took his tiny toddler spoon and began to mix the concoction, screaming in delight "I cook mama, I cook!" The icing on the cake was that he then ate his new dinner with pride and joy because he had created it. If he grows up to be a great culinary celebrity, may he love his mama like they do!

No comments: