Monday, March 10, 2008

Out of Print

This happens to me frequently. I find a magazine, become loyal, begin to anticipate each new issue like a child waits for the ice cream truck in August and ... then for some reason they cease publication. It's so sad, as they have been -- for the most part -- quality publications!

My first reading love affair was with the stylish artsy parent magazine Violet. It was beautiful -- and really a magazine I enjoyed more for the pictures. The articles were decent and the features from rockers and Hollywood's obscure on the reality of parenting were enjoyable ...

After only a few delicious issues, Violet bid farewell leaving a void in my life.

The next magazine that slowly exited out of my life was one that I had been loyal to much longer. Organic Style. Now, I'm not quite sure from a chronological standpoint if OS left my life before Violet or right after -- 2005 was a bad year for my literary hunger.

OS started out as more of a die-hard green-living guidance rag ... it slowly morphed into a celebrity, fashion-filled "green" piece. Not as much substance as it had to begin with. But I had such a hefty subscription that I had to select another magazine (I could've gotten my money back, but I'm a magazine addict - so that seemed foolish!)

This leads me to the latest departure ... one I am truly devastated about as it allowed me to indulge in my Martha Stewart-ness, but still come across as somewhat hip. Blueprint will no longer be published. Oh, a little tear left my eye when I discovered this horrible fate.


The only comfort I can find right now is that the Blueprint blog Bluelines will carry one where the print pub cannot. Of course, they are going to relaunch in a month or so, but I can't wait... Of course it's one more blog I'll need to monitor, but perhaps it will satisfy my need.

-- of course don't think I'm at a loss for magazines, I still currently read: Fortune, Newsweek, US Weekly, Parents, Women's Health, Cookie and a few others that catch my eye from time to time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Organic Style Magazine lives again, with a new publisher, and digital only - www.OrganicStyleMag.com

acecand said...

What?!?!No, no no...I cannot have blueprint out of my life...horrible news