Thursday, October 23, 2008

Upsetting the Apple Cart

Change is the only thing that is inevitable in corporate America. The economy is down, consumers are in a panic, and looking at your 401(k) is probably one of the worst things you can do. It's a good time to reflect on business and consider how you can streamline your processes, what you can make better, and overall, clean house.

I like my line of work, I usually like my company, and I enjoy a lot of the people I work with. I struggle with the same office politics that most people do. And fortunately, I have friends in other areas of business whose concerns help assure me that anything I'm dealing with ... they're dealing with something rather similar in their world.

Yesterday, the apple cart was turned over in our department. A sweeping change -- one that was tough for many, unfair for a few -- occurred. Now, organizationally, it is the best thing they've done in a while. It creates a standard consistency, removes opportunity for one-up-manship and responds back to general concerns that the team voiced. After a year of tumultuous change, this upsetting of the cart was perhaps the best move they've made in a while.

Closer to home at the office, there were a couple of other changes. Changes I'm not sure how I feel about yet. Only time will tell, and of course, I have some power of these changes and if I want them to be even deeper. That I'm still pondering. I have a week to make up my mind -- and lots of investigating to do before I make my decision.

No comments: