Sunday, August 23, 2009

Much Needed Escape

This weekend we trekked up to Northern Minnesota to the city of Duluth. Our intentions were to just get a way and not be bogged down with the traditional routines. I think D saw it as the big hurrah before digging into getting the deck done and for me, it is definitely a small break before what I anticipate to be some changes at work.

We didn't have a set agenda and spent the first day walking down canal park, and spending time on the shoreline. K loved climbing the rocks and throwing rocks into the water. His excitement and energy were so contagious. (I'll have to upload pictures later when we get home.) Just his delight in being in a new place made D and I realize how much fun it is to see things through the innocent eyes of a three-year-old.

When we checked into the hotel, you would have thought we were at Disney World. K was so running around, climbing on the bed, checking everything out. Blissed out of his mind on this experience. We had dinner at Angie's Cantina - food - good, service- oh so very bad. D and I normally are generous tippers. But the service was so bad, that we did feel like we had to make sure the tip reflected it. I'm sorry waitress. But it was just that bad.

The next day we went to the local aquarium and my son proved that he may be adventurous when it comes to injury-prone rock climbing, but not when it comes to putting his hands in the touch tanks to feel sting rays and sturgeon. We capped off the day by driving farther North to Gooseberry Falls. Again, K demonstrated his no fear attitude when it came to climbing up rocks. In my pregnant state, I took more balance-safe paths, but tried to humor him whenever possible.

Dinner Saturday was a different story, we ate at a little Italian place called Va Bene -- I had a citrus-glazed salmon that melted in my mouth, succulent green beans (yes, they can be succulent) and a potato gellate. It was so yummy, I actually cleaned my plate, which hasn't happened in a while.

Now, it's Sunday morning and my son is rearin' to get going some more. Alas, D and I both know that over the course of the next few hours, we'll be slowly making our re-entry into the real world. I have lots of work to do in preparation for Monday. Blech.

No comments: