Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Bloody Glucose Test

Friday I had my one hour glucose test. Now, since I had gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy, the chances of me having it this time are pretty high. So, I figured the news wouldn't be great. So, to try to save myself the pain and trials of even having to sit through the three-hour test, I asked my doc if I failed the one hour, could we just skip it and go right to the regime.
She told me if I failed it significantly. But if I was borderline, she wanted me to go through the three-hour test because, well, maybe I didn't have it.

So, a few hours later, I get the call... I failed ... but was on the borderline. But they do things a little different 4 years later. Before I take the three-hour, I am being sent a two-day diet plan I have to follow. This will be interesting. I haven't received it yet, so I am not sure if it's a true ... here are the meals, or if it's more breakfast -1 carb choice, lunch - 3 carb choices and dinner - 4 carb choices. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

Of course, with my first pregnancy, I was completely diet-controlled. So that will be my goal again. Testing your blood four times a day is bad enough, I really don't want to have to give myself shots of insulin. Of course, it means that during the worst time of year (the holidays!) I am going to have to watch how I eat so closely... no gorging this Thanksgiving or Christmas. But it's worth it. I watch K and he is truly a great joy, so I know that baby dos, will be just as much a joy.

1 comment:

Becky Nance said...

Sorry to hear about the additional testing needed...I've got my test on the 27th...hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well and that this is just a precaution!!!!