Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Nine-Year Engagement

This week I celebrated my work anniversary (or more appropriately called at the corporate mecca - your "service anniversary.") I can't believe I have been serving the same corporate giant for nine years. That's the longest appointment I have had with any institution. The thing with anniversaries is that they tend to set you up for lots of reflection. Of course in the corporate world, you get recognized for your first year (yay - they stuck it out for a year!), third year (that's really when they think you've become loyal), five years, ten years and then every five years after that. So, it was not a monumental anniversary by the company's standards. But, perhaps, every anniversary really should be.

Let's get back to that reflection bit. You see, I think when you've committed to something for nine years, you tend to become even more critical about whether it's mutually beneficial. Of course, it is my family's sole income source at the moment, so I guess that is my primary benefit and one I shouldn't complain about. But I'm starting to really wonder about my market value equation. You see, I was contacted by a recruiter, and being five-months pregnant, I kindly let her know that the timing was not right. But I still decided to take a look at the job posting online (I happen to know a few other people are looking, so I thought the least I could do was pass on the opportunity to them). The salary was better, the benefits listed were equal to what I am experience now ... so what is requiring my loyalty to sticking around for another nine years?

Our top leaders would have you believe it's the culture. Which, in some aspects I get (but mind you, that's part of my job, making other's believe that our culture is unique, dynamic and a reason to stay.) But is culture enough? At the end of the day, if you feel like you are giving more than others, and reaping fewer rewards, is it worth staying? It's like being married to a man and finding out he's cheated on you for five years ... while you are pinching pennies to pay the bills ... he's buying his mistress expensive clothes and trips. It just doesn't seem fair and equitable. I think I need more than just a "culture" that I am partly responsible for selling.

So, while I'm doing soul-searching, I'll stay put until baby comes and do even more digging. But I want to know ...What makes you stay in your working relationship?

1 comment:

pearl said...

These days it is the "people" that keep me at my job. (Okay, and practically, I too am the main source of income and I'm afraid other jobs in my line of work may be downtown or south, making my commute not fun.)

I like what I do, the technology is interesting, and we are using new tools/software, so there's room for expansion there. Yet, the larger team and the management keeps making the same mistakes, more work keeps going to India, and basic quality is lacking. It's disheartening and I find myself wondering "is it worth it?" some days.

So for me it's my immediate team. There's value in being able to trust them, pick their brains for ideas (they're a smart group), and be able to chat about more than work.