Thursday, February 25, 2010

Family Story Time

While I've been on leave, I have had the pleasure of tons of quality time with all my boys. One of the things we've started is family story time. We all sit in the living room together and D and I take turns reading out loud. Currently we are going through the Percy Jackson series. Sometimes K is excited to listen, other times, you'd think it was the most tortuous thing we could possibly be making a three-year-old sit through. Of course, we let him play while we read, because well ... he's only three.

The other day I asked D, is it bad that we are more excited to hear about what happens to Percy Jackson than our son? The best times are when K will settle right up next to me as I read. We usually try to fit it in twice a day right now. Once in the morning, as D and I enjoy our coffee and then in the afternoon. Of course, when I return to work (in a very fast two weeks) I'm not sure where we will insert this new family tradition into our day. Perhaps after dinner? (That is if I can get out of work at a reasonable time every day.) Or will it be something we only get to do on the weekends. I'm hoping for the former. Of course, we already have the next series picked out after we finish with Percy's adventures: The Chronicles of Narnia. K's already a fan, so I'm hoping having the books read to him by mom and dad are just as exciting as his audio books that he listens to at night. (Yes, after I read him two stories at bedtime, he wants to listen to another one as he falls asleep. This kid loves stories more than anyone I know.)

Here's to more family story time!

No comments: