Sunday, May 20, 2012

It's Garden Time!

Yesterday we made it to the Saint Paul Farmers Market to pick up our vegetable plants for our garden. Normally we don't go to the market until Sunday, but due to other obligations we found ourselves at the market on Saturday. It's definitely a different vibe - that was our first observation. A much larger crowd, a few additional folk asking for money on the side of the road, and it felt like more stands. (That could have been the case for Sunday, too as the season progresses.)

Fortunately, I knew where I wanted to get my tomato plants (we had great luck last year with some heirloom varieties, so I wanted to get plants from her again) and I'd been eyeing another booth for some other vegetable plants. After some helpful discussions with the farmers, we carefully selected the plants that I hope will lead to our bounty this year: two tomato plants, cabbage, onions, green beans (a first for us this year), basil, arugula and zucchini.  Just enough for our two little raised beds.

When the boys get older and we decide it's time to take down the play set in the backyard, I am looking forward to converting that into a larger garden space. Our small little garden is great, but I just keep thinking of some of the other treats we could be planting ... and my mouth waters.

I picked up some asparagus and rhubarb at the farmers market, so I can't wait to figure out what I want to make for the boys with those delicious items!

Here's to summer!

No comments: