Thursday, July 24, 2008

Peck Peck

Okay... I've been wanting to write about this for the last week, but I'm now just getting time on the computer. I ride the bus. I love riding the bus. It allows me to transition into work mode in the morning and de-stress at the end of the day. But earlier this year I began to notice this one particular situation and it now eats at my nerves every morning it occurs.

There's this "couple" on the bus. Both of them are quite tall, amazonian type figures. She has long, curly hair and he's sort of barbarian looking. I would say, outside of their unusual tallness, they're pretty nondescript. They sit very close to one another in their shared seat on the bus. They always get off on 9th and Marquette. Then they proceed to say good-bye for five minutes, punctuating every other word with a kiss. I am grateful for the days that the light is green and my bus doesn't have to sit at the light, so I don't have to see this display. But I finally realized this week why it really bothers me.

There is no love/passion in their kisses! It's very perfunctory, almost robotic in motion. It's every other word. She leans in and looks like a bird pecking at the dirt. Alas, I feel for them ... perhaps they are just settling because they cannot find companionship elsewhere. A routine kiss such as theirs makes me weep. The sad thing is, I've now come to realize that she works at the same company I do ... so now I randomly see her in our cafeteria or elevator lobbies ... and I have to turn away. If i look at her, all I see is the peck peck of the morning.

If you love someone ... be sure to really kiss them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! My Grandparents (Who, by the way have been married for 55 years) Kiss each other with passion every day! It's crazy and I love it. It gives me something to aspire to. Being old, sitting on a bench, sharing a sandwich and kissing like I mean it!