Saturday, August 30, 2008

The End of Summer

It is often said in Minnesota that the end of summer is signaled by one event. It's an event where tens of thousands come from near and far. Where it's acceptable to have greasy hair, stained clothing, and animal poo on your shoe. (Well ... acceptable may not be the right word, but all three are frequent sightings.) I enjoy the fair for a number of reasons: the people watching ... the one time of year I eat honey ice ... the crazy vendors every where ... and did I mention the people watching.

Now, my darling husband does not like crowds (or throngs of idiot people -- as he'd tell). But he humors me by going once a year to this festivity. Or goal is to get their early so that we can try to avoid at least some of the crowds. But this year -- I don't know what happened. We go there at 9:30 and the crowds were already there!! (It doesn't really open until 9, so we thought we'd have at least a little time!)

Our first plan of action was to get the animal barns out of the way. K enjoys goats and horses, but we're not much fond of the stink that the buildings take on. So we figured that by going early, we might be better off. We we're half right. They barns were full of stench, but a little less crowded than they would be by later in the day.

Next on our mission was to try to get K a few rides (food tally at this point: yogurt for K; breakfast burrito and coffee for D; milk for me). On our way to the rides, we encountered the Grandstand and again thought it best to tour this building before it got too late (and hot) in the day. (food update: mini-donuts for all) Then it was on to the carousel. At first K was all ready to go. But the carousel jerked after the first rotation and he immediately turned and gripped on to me for dear life. The rest of the ride was a great ab workout for me, because I had to go up and down with the horse. The crazy thing was that afterwards, he asked to do it again. We then saw the giant slide. After practically getting vertigo climbing up the stairs. K and I went down the slide. Now, of course, because he was in my lap, I felt his pulse quicken and his body tense. D says from an outsiders perspective he looked like he enjoyed it. I knew it was not the case. (Oh, if you're wondering why I got to do all the rides ... it's because D has a weak stomach when it comes to rides ... apparently, so does my son.)

After the rides, we toured some of the buildings and K eventually fell asleep in his stroller. (food update: one gigantic corn dog and lemonade for K and D -- I had some of the lemonade) While K slept we went into the Horticulture building and I went to the Minnesota Wine exhibit. I tried a flight of three different ones. First -- they gave you way to much ... I just wanted a tasting ... an ounce would have done just fine ... Second -- I hate to say it, but Minnesota wine has not won me over ... I think we still have some perfecting to do. The one which was a Sogn Blanc was pretty good. Daniel liked the Zeitgeist... but then I had a plum one ... it was pure disgusting. Oh, well.

K woke up and we went to the honey exhibit and got our must-have treat of honey ice cream. It was splendid. And a good way to end the day. We watched the daily parade and then slowly made our way back to the bus stop.

Of course D and I got sunburned, didn't eat as much as we thought we did, but it was an enjoyable day and a nice way to end summer. Now ... on to my favorite season. YAY AUTUMN!!

No comments: