Thursday, August 07, 2008

Brilliance

I am sure that most every parent thinks their child is brilliant. And your heart explodes with love at the simplest things. This morning as I was driving K to "school" (because that is what you must call daycare these days ...) I pointed out the car window to two rabbits and said "Look, a bunny." My two-year-old quickly corrected me and said, "Mommy, two rabbits." I was so excited because a) he knows two when he sees it, and b) he decided to correct me and call them rabbits (they clearly weren't bunnies any more.)

When I picked him up in the afternoon, he wanted to sing his ABCs and I would say he got almost 75% of it down beautiful. But perhaps the most impressive lately is his amazing dialogue. Oh, I think parents long for those days when their child is still immobile for when they can tell you exactly what they want. It's a blessing. Of course, I occasionally have to deal with a little sassafras and defiance, but there is nothing more delightful than having an earnest conversation with a toddler.

His smile breaks me the most joy, but his laugh knocks me out of the world. He's just so enjoyable. I think D and I look at him every day and are still in shock that we are responsible for bringing such a miracle to life. You want just the best for them, and I completely get how parents have sacrificed their lives for their children. It's the most noble gift you could give them if you needed to.

No comments: