Thursday, August 21, 2008

Just Another Day at the Office

Today was a special day at work. It's the day we gather all our key executives, share vision and strategy for the upcoming year and recognize outstanding performances. It means eight hours in an auditorium listening to speeches (which I should take credit on supporting two of them) and then being surprised and delighted with entertainment sprinkled throughout.

So, the meeting was kicked off with a little extreme sports action, including Shaun White, Matt Hoffman and a few other Xtremist athletes. It was very cool. Much cooler than I would normally admit. As they did their flips in the air, you heard the collective breathe-holding and the release when they safely landed. My colleague next to me asked me what I would do if K decided he wanted to become an extreme athlete -- I just smiled and nodded.

The next sparkle of entertainment was none other than the mystical tenor of Josh Groban. While it was not the most upbeat of performances, and he did sing Paul Simon's "America" which seemed a little outdated with all it's references of cigarettes ... it was a beautiful performance. He spoke a few kind words and received great amounts of applause.

The next performer received an even louder sound of appreciation from the audience. The talented, sultry John Legend. I have to say, he's a very beautiful man, with delicate features and a voice like velvet. Smooth as chocolate melting in your mouth. He sang a song that will be on his new album -- and it sold me as something I might need to go get. (Perhaps one day I will get an iPOD!)

Of course, the applause was deafening for the third act ... none other than the Jonas Brothers. Is it wrong to think their wholesome music, catchy beats and innocent smiles are actually good. I'm sure to some who think there above a good pop melody will say so. But you know what, it made me want to dance, so I don't care. I even got my co-worker to clap along to one of their songs. Of course, as any act, the masses couldn't stay on beat, so we graciously quit clapping when we knew it had gone astray.

The finale to the day was none other than divalicious Christina Aguilera. The girl can dance and still provide one of the top vocal performances I've ever heard. She was astounding ... and little Max even got to enjoy his mama's show. She also previewed a song from her upcoming album ... she's back and sounding better than ever.

So, all in all, it was just another day at the office (at least the first part of the day.) Now, I'm ready for the weather to start cooling off and my favorite season to arrive. But more about that in a future entry.

No comments: