Monday, September 15, 2008

Motherhood

I would have to say the greatest gift I've ever been given is the gift of motherhood. No matter how well I could describe it, the only other people who will truly understand it is other mothers. There's something that crawls deep into your soul and makes your heart swell to maximize capacity.

When I read stories about child abuse or neglect, I understand how it could go there. I understand the stressful moments that someone might not have the adequate tools for, the support systems needed in place, or just the right avenues that allow them the space they need. I'm luck, I have a lot of great resources, tools, support, and a fantastic partner who allow me to focus on the positives of motherhood, without having to fall into the realms of the dark.

One of the biggest debates surrounding motherhood this day and age is about stay at home moms vs. working moms. It's a debate that can make former friends never speak to each other again. There are lots of books out about the subject (searching on Borders today brought up over 121 different titles on the subject. Some notable highlights include: I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Redding, Working Mother by Allison Pearson, How She Really Does It by Wendy Sachs) The one common theme in these books is that they talk about how can women be both professionals and moms.

It's hard. Every day I struggle with the desire to want to just be at home, helping my son grow up to be the best person he can possibly be. But, is it fulfilling to women who feel like they have "so much more to offer" to look down at them if they also choose to work. Many studies have come out that speak to the effects caused by having mommies who work. One that always sticks for me is that the number of "quality" hours between SAHM and WM are about the same. So even if a SAHM spends more time with her child, the quality of that time isn't greater. That's a bit reassuring, but I'm sure doesn't sit well with SAHM.

I believe you must do what's best for you and your family. Sometimes you have to put your family first, but always make sure you don't lose yourself in the big picture, too.

No comments: