Thursday, November 20, 2008

Accessibility Requirements

Today, K and I began a little holiday shopping at the Shoppes at Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove, Minnesota. I must tell you that it was quite a frustrating experience from an accessibility standpoint. K was in his stroller, and all of the doors I had to pull to open. There were no electronic openers and these doors were heavy!

It made me wonder how might someone with a temporary or permanent handicap could easily enter all the stores. Seriously, if you were on crutches or using a wheelchair, I think you'd quickly turn around and leave. It was wretched and near impossible for me to get in some of those stores. Sometimes I'd be lucky and someone would see me struggling and come to my assistance. So, is this shopping centre breaking the law? I feel like they are completely violating the ADA. (http://www.access-board.gov/publications/ADAFactSheet/A13.html). There is no way this place could be considered accessible, and it specifically calls out the need to make shopping areas accessible regardless of size.

So, I've e-mailed the management of the shopping centre and requested a list of how they comply with the ADA requirements in regards to accessibility. I am quite interested in how they respond and will be sure to post a follow-up to my blog. I think we need to ensure that we have equality across all areas, including commerce. It greatly concerns me that anyone would construct a business area that did not allow for easy access for all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who sees this as an issue! Good for you with your follow up though...makes me embarrassed at my lack of follow through...