Friday, November 07, 2008

My Alter Ego

I think all of us have an alter ego ... a split personality ... a side of us that we only let an elite few see. By day I am a reserved, corporate middle manager. I provide guidance and counsel to a variety of others. I act in the utmost professionalism. Okay ... on occasion I let a snarky comment or two escape. But to the average viewer, I'm a wise old sage (mind you, I'm not really that old, but I've been around in my department almost longer than everyone else) who dispenses sound bites of knowledge and helps people along their own career paths. I defend those worth defending and challenge ideas that just support the status quo. I'm not moving mountains, but I'm keeping the circulation running in one minor artery.

Now, the side of me that people don't see ... she's a dancing fool. Put on some great funky beats and let her loose. (Thank you Pandora Radio for my Jamiroquai station.) I enjoy shakin' it and making my son and husband laugh because they know that I have released myself to the freedom of my soul. My son did enter the world with Stevie Wonder playing in the hospital room. And based on his love for music and his head-bobbing in appreciation, I know he's inherited my rhythm.

If I'm not enjoying the rhythms of another artist, I'll be providing my own operatic tones as my personal soundtrack (unfortunately, the husband's not so appreciative this, but it might be because it crosses the border into annoying.) As I've aged, I've started to let the two alter egos bridge on occasion, but very rarely. I've noticed I start singing at my desk. Fortunately, I typically catch myself before anyone else does. I've decided it's because I am coming into my own. I've gotten to the age where I'm comfortable with my skin, and I know that the way to a happy life is not to take yourself so seriously and just go along with the music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Hail to whatever you found, in the sunlight that surrounds you, Hail to all those who have come, from the sunlight that surrounds you...Pretend all the good things are for you, pretend all the good things are for me too..."