Monday, April 27, 2009

The Boogie Man is Alive and Well


Today was one of those days. You know ... the kind that you end up capping off with two glasses of wine ... because, frankly, one just isn't enough. The revelation that ended in my lap at the end of it all is that people really don't know what they want. And even the smartest people think that by putting a new coat of paint on a wall, you might hide the fact that there is a mold problem festering. At least, that's what I encountered. Where I work, we really encourage employees to provide feedback. It's our culture, just part of our DNA and who we are. (Ha -- now there is some corporate speak.) Anyhow, basically employees know that they can share opinions and are pretty open and willing to do so. The issue is that we just haven't done the best job sharing what we do with that feedback. So, you'd think we'd put more efforts around sharing that story. Because, if I keep sharing my opinion but nothing happens ... eventually I will stop sharing my opinion. Alas, we are putting all are time and energy toward the front end and to ensure people are telling us there opinions. It doesn't make sense to me. But clearly, I must be the only one not getting it.


Therefore, I feel like my own personal boogie man has chosen to enter my life. Dance around me all day and creep into my skin. It was my best not to scream out loud today. I just don't get it. Is every company with more than 50 employees like this? Does anyone truly love their job in the land of neutral cubicles and off-temperatures? Probably not, otherwise movies like Office Space and shows like The Office probably wouldn't be as popular as they are. No, the reason that people like these shows is that they resonate to the full essence. While we think they are exaggerations of reality, the truth is that they are exact replicas.


I thought I had become a heartless corporate zombie, but today made me realize, I'm not heartless, I've just gotten really close to surrendering in the battle. The white flag is not quite raised, but I'm soaking it in Clorox so that when I'm ready to raise it -- it will be bright and signal the end.


I know two people who are saying their farewells in the next month to their benefactor de corporate-o. I am full of admiration for their bravery, their courage and their chutzpah. I'm not quite ready -- I need to have a fully thought out back-up plan before I can raise the white flag. But I fear that when I'm ready, it will be a sea of white for a smug and unsuspecting group. I hope - for their sakes - that I am terribly wrong.

1 comment:

KK said...

I don't think many people LOVE the corporate game, but I think lots learn how to get through it without letting it drive them nuts. (I'm not sure whether it's good or bad that I don't seem to possess that ability.)

You'll be okay. And if the day comes when you really can't do it anymore, you'll know.