Friday, May 01, 2009

Three Going on 20

I have to say one of the greatest experiences in my life is just watching my son grow up. It's truly amazing how quickly kids become articulate, sophisticated people. He's barely three and he holds long and engaging conversations. He creates imaginative stories. And he appreciates the most simple pleasures in life. I just can't believe I was like this at that age. The guy is amazing. He puts together a puzzle in a few minutes (and we are talking about 5+ age appropriate puzzles.)

He is, however, very smart and manipulative, too. D and I fully appreciate that we have our hands very full with this one. All he has to do to get his way is look upwards and stick his lower lip out just a bit. He knows we are both suckers for this look and then he usually gets what he wants. We've had to be tougher on each other to help stick to our guns in this whole parenting thing. But knowing that we have each other's support makes it so much easier.

Tonight as I put K to bed, we did our usually routine where we guessed what tomorrow would bring. He has swimming lessons early in the morning and then we'll go grocery shopping (thank goodness it's D's turn to plan this week's menu ... I'm sapped of creativity - it was a grueling week at work!). Tomorrow is special thought because we have the Living Green Expo. So I talked about the Expo with K. I explained it was where he got to try Kefir for the first time. His eyes lit up. "Will I get something tomorrow?" I replied that I didn't know, we'd have to see what was there and how well he behaved. "Could I get a shirt?" (I don't quite get his obsession with shirts, but he likes getting new shirts.) I replied again that I didn't know and couldn't promise. "Maybe I could get a toy?" He said with a huge dimply, cheesy grin. I laughed and said "we'll see."

I warned D that the young man was already plotting his moves for tomorrow.

No comments: