Friday, May 08, 2009

Looking at All the Options

One of my friends who happened to work at the corporate mecca that helps pay my bills is saying farewell to the giant. After much political warfare that I feel is typical of corporate America, she bravely decided she'd had enough and was no longer going to be a slave to the man. Right now, she is my hero. But why she is my hero may not be what you'd first think.

Because she just decided it was time to go, she is leaving without another job waiting at the wings. (She was well prepared for the departure and prepared months in advance, lest you think she was crazy in this decision.) Now ... she has a million options in front of her. The word truly is her banquet waiting for her to pick what she'd like.

At lunch, three of us sat there and talked about all her options. She could go to school (and there were multiple choices there), she could join the Peace Corps, she could move to a different state and being life with a fresh clean slate. It was sort of amazing. While one might think that fear would be your pure state in this situation, instead, she radiated freedom, excitement and potential. Her possibilities are truly limitless.

It made me think more about what I really want to do. Which of course, is write a book. I have a million small ideas in my head and I just need to embrace one and get it out there. I think I may save up my vacation enough to get a month's worth and take a month off and get started. (I'm not too far off from having a month's worth since I've been at the same company for almost a decade.)

I am going to soak in her energy for her life's next chapter and try to infuse my daily choices into it as well. I encourage everyone to embrace the endless possibilities -- my friend has truly taken the very sour lemons that were thrown at her feet and I know she will make divine lemonade out of them.

No comments: