Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Find

So, I've been looking for a great antique find for my living room. In the whole manor of Wabi Sabi, I wanted to add something with a little age, history, life to go with my modern Room & Board chairs and Ikea sofas (talk about mixing!) I was geared up for trips to antique stores, and was figuring we'd need to start soon since the summer is practically gone (if it really ever was here for more than one week in June.)

Well ... I didn't have to go very far for my piece of history. Only to my in-laws. D and his friend S were helping them move furniture so that they could put in new flooring. His dad asked me to go downstairs and take a look at something. I always brace myself for these requests, because sometimes it's an old karate uniform of D's, sometimes it's something I don't even understand. So he led all of us into one of their guest rooms ... and then pointed to this huge piece of furniture. Do you guys like it. Yeah, we love it. Do you want it? Really? It belonged to D's great-grandmother, and we don't have room for it anymore. So, in one tiny afternoon, I acquired a gorgeous old wooden ice chest (it does weigh a ton) that is not only a great antique ... but it's a family heirloom.
Of course, I'm thrilled. I don't know exactly how it will fit in my room ... how I'll want to tie in the rest of the decor yet ... but I'm amazed at what I was expecting to be a fun search was not too far away. Of course ... now I just have to determine what else I need that can be a good excuse for antiquing!

1 comment:

pearl said...

It's beautiful! What a great "find." Not too many of us have true heirlooms anymore.