Monday, October 04, 2010

Showering One with Love

This weekend was the entry into a busy next two months. The first shower for my sister's wedding was at my house this weekend. The theme was desserts and we had lots of yummy treats. Fortunately my younger sister and my two cousins really helped ensure the event went off with a hitch. The menu was amazing, if I do say so myself. It was a lot of delicious autumnal flavors.

There were mini gingerbread cupcakes with pumpkin frosting. Just the right bite of gingerbread. K said they were the best cupcakes he had ever tasted (not sure if I agree ... but I'll go with it.)


 Next up was the triple cookie delight. I did not make any of the cookies, my cousins and sister did ... but they all tasted delicious. The french macaroons were unbelievable, the earl grey shortbread were a nice savory treat and the chocolate hazelnut crinkles melted in your mouth!

We also served pumpkin caramel bars with a special secret ingredient ... bacon. Yes, that's bacon crumbled on the top. It was unlike anything else ... and it's definitely true what they say about bacon!

We also had an unbeatable spiced pumpkin mousse. This was a labor of love, but definitely worth it in the end. And they were so rich, I served them in mini cups - just big enough to get a satisfying taste. And to wash it all down ... a special autumn punch (pineapple juice, pom juice and ginger ale ... who knew? It was a fantastic combination!)
 

As for the shower itself, there was a moment at the beginning when I got really nervous because I could tell we weren't people who necessarily had a lot to say to each other ... but after asking my sister to share how they met and then with me reading their engagement story ... the tension broke and we all just had fun. I think it was hard for my aunts because they didn't have anything to do. My cousins, sister and I had everything already perfectly out and everything was under control. It was like a very quick turn of the generations. I think it was a little unnerving for them. And then I sent them off with their favors ... handmade, by yours truly ... cake pops. It was a delicate way to end the dessert shower with a touch of elegance. (Oh, did I forget to mention ... I dropped them when I was bringing them up. Most survived the aftermath ... but the ones that didn't ... it was enough to break my heart!
Alas, time for the next venture!

No comments: