Monday, September 27, 2010

Irritability

A case of the Mondays is probably pleasant compared to the case of the irritabilities that always infuse through my core in the morning as I entered my office building. It could be that I have been here for ten years and the shiny veneer really has worn off. It could be that personal space apparently disappears once you swipe your badge and walk through the lobby. It could be that the newer generation is just so self-absorbed that they have no clue about common etiquette. It could be a variety of things.

My morning routine is pretty much the same thing every morning. I walk through the elevator bank to stop and get some hot water for tea and cold water for hydration, plus a few plastic utensils to get me through my day of food consumption. Today … there were only the small hot cups. Alas, I was not going to walk back to the coffee station to grab a large cup (because for paying customers, there are always both sizes available.) So I decided to forgo the hot water for my tea this morning. On to get the cold water cup. Here’s where personal space is about a half millimeter. As I am trying to get my cup, there is a six foot behemoth hovering right behind me. So, I quickly grab my cup, top and straw and walk to one of the two ice machines. There is no ice. Well, there’s like one cube.

So, I meticulously try to watch for the other machine to free up as I am praying ice will come down. It doesn’t, and again, someone else hovers right on me. I can feel their breath down my back, I swear. Hence, I just decide to leave (and forget to grab my utensils!!) I make it back to the elevator bank … and it’s like the elevators never come. Apparently, every elevator is in use, or they forgot to turn all the elevators on (probably the latter.) The lobby starts to get crowded and finally two elevators arrive. Right as the doors start to close, a snarky young pup hits the button so the doors open and he hops on. Then three more people hop on. Maybe of the five people who were already on the elevator I was the only one who was annoyed, but seriously, people!!! Your inconsiderateness has now delayed me getting to my desk by another five minutes.

Yeah … I think the veneer has definitely worn off.

No comments: