Sunday, December 12, 2010

Two More To Cross Off

On my journey to read the 1001 books you should read before you die, I am happy to say I have just finished two more. The first was Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. And apparently there is a movie based on the book. It was interesting ... and not probably something I'd have read on my own merit. But it was definitely good and left you with questions and thought-provoking ideas. You don't really understand what makes the characters special until a third of the way into the book ... so I don't want to ruin it. It's told through flash backs and twisting and winding storytelling. 

The second one was Saturday by Ian McEwan. Who knew someone could right a whole book about one day in the life of a neurosurgeon. I have to say, there were parts of this very detailed book that I had to skim (sorry, the brain surgery scenes were just too much for me.) But all-in-all, it makes me excited to read the Atonement based on this book. It really thrives on the post-9/11 environment, and so I wonder if I had read it when it first came out if I would have had different feelings. Either way ... good stuff.

Both stories took place in England. Which makes me interested to dive into the rest of the list because I'm wondering if it's a lot more worldly in content. If so, bravo, I cannot wait. I love American authors and books, but I need more exposure to writers from other areas of the world.

No comments: