Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Priorities - Do Americans Have Them Right?

As a full supporter and user of public transport, I've come to appreciate the tiny pleasures it provides. (Where else would I get a total of 90 minutes a day of reading time - as a working mother of two boys, let me say no where ...) However, one of the true pleasures that I experience that appeals to the voyeur in me is eavesdropping on the conversations around me. Hey, if you choose to talk on your cell phone loudly, you're basically handing me a ticket to the show, right?

The other day on the bus, I overheard the conversation behind me and it really got me thinking. It was a woman talking on her phone, and granted she was talking quietly, so if she hadn't been directly behind me, I may have never been any the wiser. She was frantic as she was talking to who I'm assuming was her husband. She was supposed to pick up their son, but was running behind because the day at work had become hectic and she had let time slip away. How many times has this been me? How many other people on the bus have the same conversation. (Granted, when D and I both worked, I was equally on the giving and receiving end of the conversation.)

Is this just the American work culture? Are we the only crazy culture that has pushed people to screw up their prioritize where work comes before family? I'm ashamed at how many times I've let some work priority take precedence of getting home on time. I want to be there for my boys, my husband. It's time to re-prioritize. I'm also enjoying the work gig at the moment, so it's finding the right balance between giving it all during the work day ... and then giving it all at home ... and then finding time for quality spousal time ... oh, and yeah ... me time. If anyone's got the solution, I'd love to hear it.

No comments: