Sunday, February 27, 2011

Paying for Pain

Confession time. I actually watched Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty. And guess what, I even liked it. While I'm not a huge fan of Ms. Simpson, the show did examine how different cultures celebrate different types of beauty (and yes, you even saw the Americans get berated for showing to much skin in a Muslim country.) On the episode where the happy trio (Jess, Ken and CaCee) went to Thailand, they all tried the Thai Yoga Massage. I was intrigued ... and ever since, I've wanted to try it myself.












This morning was the morning I was going to submit myself to being stretched and pulled by someone else other than my children. Her name was Miko and she seemed innocent enough. She pulled me and forced my legs into pretzel like configurations. There were moments of acupressure that made me want to laugh and there were moments that almost made me want to cry. When there was pain, it was the good kind.

At the end of the session, I think I was about three inches taller. She commented my hamstrings were particular tight (which I never realized just how tight until today ...) It's something I recommend if someone wants to force their body to new heights. It emphasized to me how I should really get on the yoga train a little more frequently. It is a massage that does leave you feeling a little like pudding or clay, but not in the my body has been beaten way. So, if you just want to relax and have someone work your stress away, this is not for you. This is for those who want to put a little effort into it along the way, too.

No comments: