Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Day of Love

D and I have been together for almost a dozen years. I cannot believe that (and yes, I already know that I am going to get something commissioned for our next wedding anniversary, since it's pottery and I happen to have some connections ... tee hee) But I will say even after a dozen years, he doesn't cease to amaze me.

So, Valentine's Day was very apparently here ... in full force, the mobs at the floral shops was mind-boggling, the chocolate stores were practically bought out. Everyone was looking for how to exemplify their love. D and I don't make a big deal out of the day. (Our point is why do we wait for one day to demonstrate our love ... ) Now with K at school, we recognize there will be some external influences who may increase the perceived importance of this day. Fortunately, he's just in Kindergarten, there's not too much importance placed on it.

D and I agreed we weren't going to go out of our way, we don't want our boys to feel obligated about the holiday. So, on my way home, I stopped by a bakery and picked up some French macaroons that they had on hand (and looked at the crazy special section they had set aside for those who had participated in their V-day preorder.) And I proceeded on my way home.

I checked Facebook on the bus, as I do pretty much every day, and saw a note from my MIL who commented about how D made a special Vegan lunch for his dad (it's his birthday) and that they spent their afternoon playing as a family. It made me smile, he's a good husband, dad and son. When I got home, he showed me a special dessert cookbook and chocolates his parents gave us for V-day, and then he made an off comment about how Cupcake (one of our favorite bakery spots) makes gluten-free cupcakes. I gave him this look ... and asked him why he found that out...

He had called yesterday to see if they made gluten-free goods and then ordered a special cupcake for me. (He also got cupcakes for his parents and the boys and himself.) I shared that I got macaroons ...but clearly, he showed me his thoughtfulness was once again amazing and special. I can't believe he went out of his way to order me a special cupcake and then drove 30 minutes to pick it up. This is just an example of how wonderful and thoughtful my life partner can be ... especially when I am not expecting anything.

No comments: