Friday, February 10, 2012

In Search of Perfect Education

Okay, confession ... it has taken me until now to watch Waiting for Superman. Yes, the documentary that rocked the airwaves last year as it took a critical look at the U.S. education system. It took me two days to watch, as it was my commute entertainment (thank you Netflix streaming and my smart phone -- you do make the bus ride slightly more enjoyable.) And it left me asking lots of internal questions.

First, I always watch documentaries with a bit of skepticism. I mean, documentaries are told through one person's lens. Yes, they use interviews, testimonials and other people's stories to shape the film ... but through the power of narrative and editing ... it is still one perspective. And documentaries are typically created to leave a powerful impression. To make you think, make you question, and cause an emotional reaction. Waiting for Superman did just that.

As a parent, I have made the commitment to be as involved as much as possible in my children's education. So, I attend the PTO meetings, volunteer as much as possible and I also have agreed to represent my son's school as part of a special parent review board of the school curriculum. Part of me has gotten this involved so that I can cultivate the right relationships to ensure my children receive the best experience they can.

Part of this is so that I can campaign to try to ensure my son gets the First Grade teacher I want him to get. Yes, it's a political campaign ... and watching a silly documentary has only affirmed my convictions to do my part to ensure my children get every opportunity in life that I can help make available. Of course, it is as equally important that my children apply themselves and put forth their own personal effort. But I also now expect that the educators and leaders in the school system (because, wow is it ever a system) do their best to ensure every opportunity possible.

Because at the end of the day ... none of us can do this alone.

No comments: