Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Fine (Clean) Dining Experience

It's that time of the month again ... you know, my wine club! Tonight we dined at a little place called Mill Valley Kitchen. The web site for the restaurant can provide a great glimpse into the atmosphere of what you can expect at MVK. It's a very clean, bright experience that hints at the menu of "local" fresh, clean cuisine. I will say they make it super easy to eat vegan or gluten-free - the menu is nicely labeled. So, it made my ordering a delight!

Some folks might encounter this food and be concerned about the frou-frou aspects ... but the food delivered - while it was clean and healthy, it had taste that made it stand out.

My first course was a warm spinach salad, with red onions, mint, kalamata olives and goat cheese, tipped with medium-rare sirloin. Unfortunately, my stupid phone/camera went on the blitz and what appeared to have been a great photo when I was there ...  uploaded like this ...
All I can say is that it tasted much better than the photo looks. The goat cheese and kalamata olives were a great combinations of salty creamy and the spinach was just slightly warmed - not wilted.

Instead of ordering a main course, I decided to order three of the sides/snacks: first was a gingered-shiitake quinoa. Right now I am on a serious shiitake kick. I love these mushrooms, there is something about the flavor that just makes my mouth dance when I am able to savor the little morsels. Next was a lovely coconut sweet potato mash ... the texture was a smooth, silky, creamy puree with a hint of coconut. They melted in my mouth. The last item I had was there roasted vegetables, with a plethora of vegetables from eggplant to mushrooms to asparagus.

Here's the sad excuse of a picture my phone ended up taking ... (Not sure if you can even see anything ... urgh!)
Both courses were enjoyed with (gasp!) a Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc Viognier (yes, a white wine in February!) But it was a perfect balance with all the veggie goodness.

To end the evening, I enjoyed a maple panna cotta - topped with black sea salt. This girl likes salt, and I love maple ... so it was just the perfect bite of dessert to top off the evening.
Other than my phone camera resulting in an epic fail! the evening was a culinary treat. Unfortunately, on the way home, I almost met a deer horns to headlines. However, my reflexes were quick and I am now safely home, thinking longingly of my take-home box of goodness in the refrigerator!



No comments: