Sunday, October 14, 2012

Just a Little Too Soon

I love the holidays - the hustle and bustle - the search for perfect gifts - the food - spending time with friends and family - decorating - snuggling by the fire - all of it. However, even I think that mid-October is too soon for Christmas commercials on television. Normally, I don't even notice commercials because the only t.v. I watch happens to be shows I've dvr'd. However, last Friday night I was having a major dvr catch-up session (alas, a major crying session, because I got up on all my dramas and was bawling most of the time) and as I was fast-forwarding ... I noticed Christmas commercials. I had to stop, rewind and make sure I wasn't seeing things. The worst part ... I am catching up on shows from three weeks ago, so some of the commercials may have been airing back then!!! I can't believe it. It's horrible. It's too soon. Let me savor the joy of cheesy Halloween movies and all that is October before we move on to the festivities of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I even picked up a couple of my favorite magazines November issues ... and low and behold ... they already had gift-giving suggestion articles. (To be fair to one, it was a November/December issue.) While I may have already purchased my first gift (totally defined by treasure hunt, I just happened to see it, and it spoke to me for one person) and I love the whole idea of hunting for perfect gifts ... I don't know if I am quite ready to dive right into Christmas festivities yet. And I totally get putting up the outside lights now before it gets too cold (just not turning them on until after Thanksgiving.)

Oh, well ... I guess it speaks to the season and to spreading out the gift-purchasing. And maybe it will lead to folks acting with the Christmas spirit year-round.

No comments: