Friday, May 31, 2013

Goodbye to a Good Pal

This week I said goodbye to an old friend. A friend whose stuck with me the last 13 years. A friend whose seen me get married, buy my first home, move to a second home, have two children. A friend whose traveled to multiple states with me, braced my singing and enjoyed more than 189,000 miles of adventure.

Sure, we had our ups and downs. A share of maintenance calls. One small hit-and-run accident. Many storms, but even more sunny days. Yes, on Thursday I said good-bye to my very first care. A pretty, little red 2000 Ford Focus SE.

D and I inherited his mothers car ... and both of our current cars have definitely put in their usage. But based on mileage, we knew the Ford was the car we should say farewell to. We decided to donate it ... sure there's a tax break ... but we didn't have to pay for the car replacing the Ford, so why not share our good fortune and display our gratitude by providing our car to an organization for a good cause.

It was weird not to see the car in the driveway Thursday afternoon. A bit of sadness ... since it was the first major purchase I made as an adult. Now as I walk to my car at the park and ride, I have to remember that it's not my little Ford waiting for me. She was a good friend, we have been through a lot together. May she continue to bring joy to someone else (even if it's just by parts.)

No comments: