Saturday, June 08, 2013

Things I'm Digging at the Moment

Everyone once in a while I like to give some "props" to things I'm enjoying in the moment, so that perhaps others can enjoy them, too. I'd hope others will share what they are loving right now ... because sometimes, trying something new is just what you need for a pick me up.

So, let's start with a little libation. Yeah, there are a lot of celebrities who've come out with their own wines. And I didn't realize that I think my favorite wine shop even had a bottle of Miraval on display ... (maybe) but what caught my eye was The Dreaming Tree wine in their newsletter. I vaguely recalled that I think Dave Matthews (of DMB) fame was one of the "owners" of this wine. For less than $15, I figured I could give it a sip.

I wish I had bought a whole case. It is seriously yummy stuff. Even D gave it his seal of approval. Very smooth, nice notes of fruit and for me there was this luscious vanilla layer that just brought it all together. (D couldn't taste the vanilla, so it just goes to show you that wine is an incredibly personal thing.)

Another thing I'm into right now is finding some new glasses. D himself just got a new pair, and went with a completely new shape. He's very hip now. Very K-pop hip. I'm a huge fan of Warby Parker. One, they are helping to disrupt the monopoly that is the eye wear world. (I think like 98% of all optical stores are all actually owned by one megacorp.) Second ... you can get a complete set of eye glasses for less than $100!!!
That's lenses and frames. It's amazing what little shops can do. So I'm currently torn between two different frames:

They are quite similar - but a break from my current shape (which are the Miles.) Let me know which ones you think. (And yes, I totally don't smile because it's in pics where I get caught not smiling that I start analyzing if my glasses look good on me!)

Finally, the last thing that's really piqued my interest is Stitch Fix. I don't know about you, but I have no time to shop with a family of boys who are so busy. (Read: I don't really get solo shopping trips.) So, I've started to take to online shopping. Boden is one of my favorite shops. I love it, particularly because I don't see five hundred other women at work wearing the same fashions. So, I decided to give Stitch Fix a try. I won't give you all the detail on the program yet (their site does a fantastic job outlining the program.) But basically for $20 a personal stylist selects five pieces for me, ships them my way, I have three days to select an item. If I select something my $20 goes to that item. If I select all the pieces you get 25% off your order. I did a lot of reading other blogs and it looks like overall they do a good job. If you want to give it a try ... please use my referral link above (then I get credit toward my next fix :)) I should get my first box in two weeks. (That's the nice thing ... it's not a subscription unless you want it to be, so I can just choose to get a box when the funds are available.)

That's it for now ... time to go for a run!
 

No comments: