Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Barbecue Wine

I wanted to make sure I documented July's wine club adventure before July left. This month has seriously just gone so quickly and I think the boys and I are trying to savor some lazy summer days ... which tends to mean my laptop stays tucked away and off to the side.

So, when I realized that August is officially here this week, I knew I needed to get on here and share July's wine Chardonnay. Now, I am not a Chard fan. Not in the least bit. I'll pretty much take any other wine over it. I'm not sure what it is ... I just don't find it all that refreshing, but I am always optimistic that wine club will make me into a changed woman.

Chard's are supposed to be excellent picnic wines. I think this is that they can be not quite super chilled and the flavor peaks. So, the fare was like a perfect summer picnic ... including some excellent homemade gluten-free bread. Yes, GA the hostess went all out and make some amazing artisanal bread that you spread melted Brie on. I probably could have eaten the whole loaf. (That's sad, isn't it ... I just rarely get good bread anymore :))
 Fresh fruit and apple chicken sausage kabobs
 Homemade bread and grilled Brie
 Portable mini potato salads
Gluten-free shortbread cookies, caramel, pecans and chocolate

The wines for the evening ranged from California to Chile to France. 
First up was a California Chard. It had a crisp pear taste and was great when we were sipping it before we ate anything. Unfortunately, this did not pair well once you began to eat. It is definitely a "no food with this" wine. 
The second one was the Chilean beauty. This was much stronger, and permeated with peach and bold oak. It had a short finish. I didn't really love it. But D happened to go play cards with the boys later and the leftover wine was brought over and he said he loved it. So, I think we may have been drinking it a little too chilled. So, I'll give this one a second chance, because D raved about it so much. 
The third wine was the one I enjoyed the most of the evening. It was very mellow and almost butter smooth. It went well with the food and if I didn't have to drive, I would have drank my whole glass and had another. Surprisingly it was the Australian Chard ... and I wasn't expecting that one to be the one that would win me over. 
We ended our flight with the quintessential Chard ... a French Burgundy ... now this was very oaky and when you think of Chard this is definitely what comes to mind. I'm not a fan of French wines (I know, strange isn't it) so this one was just a little too much for me. 
Overall, still not a Chard fan ... but at least I know in a pinch if it comes from Chile or Australian, maybe I will at least give it a try. 

No comments: