Sunday, July 14, 2013

Color-rific

Today the boys came and watched D and I run The Color Run 5k. This was definitely supposed to be just a fun way to promote exercise, have a good time and not worry about getting a PR. This was so evident in fact, that D ran the whole thing with me. (He typically is about ten minutes ahead of me at a regular race ... so he had to cut his pace quite a bit.) Then again, it also probably made me run faster than normal.

D's mom was kind enough to watch the boys while we ran at the event so that they could cheer us on. We keep trying to convince K to run one with us ... as we'd like to to encourage the boys to start running these. We'll definitely start paying more attention for kid's fun runs. According to D's mom, they ran from color station to color station so they probably ran the full race anyway. And they did get some color dust on them. Yes, we were one colorful family at the finish.

I have to say, I was impressed with the crowds. We were the first wave ... and there were five waves in total. And I am going to guess there were thousands of us for the first wave. The sea of people was absolutely endless. In fact, we didn't even get to start running until the fourth wave of the first wave. So, for our 8:30 run, we didn't leave the starting line until after 9 a.m.

In the end, our goal was just to have a good time (we always do when we run these races), encourage the boys to see how fun running can be (which I think they did), and get in some exercise. Check on all three. I've been reading how the number of people doing 5ks has exploded in the last few years. I totally get it. It's a pretty easy distance to run (once you start and get in the groove) and you can continue to improve your time. I never thought I'd be a runner, and I always envied those who running came easy for. Granted, I'm not that fast ... but I keep to it and eventually, maybe, just maybe ... I'll beat D to the finish line.


No comments: