Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Grass is Always Greener

Today I met a woman who recently joined our department. We did the typically "get to know" type questions ... and I was thoroughly impressed ... or jealous ... or both. At first I thought she was way younger than I was, but we discovered we're about the same age. She worked a company for a while after college and then decided she needed a big change ... so she decided to go work at a farm in the south of France.

But to get the job, she had to fill out an extensive application and get experience working on a farm here. She explained to me how you had to have proficiency with specific machinery. So, she got experience for six months here and then was off to France. My mind immediately raced to how fulfilling a job like that could be. You have very specific tasks you need to achieve and you reap very tangible awards.

It's amazing how the grass always seems greener, doesn't it? I think there was a small part of me who wished I had been crazy right out of college when it's excusable to be crazy and have trekked around the world. I want to make sure I support my sons and allow them some sort of experience like that before they get too committed to careers or have families of their own. I want them to have some adventure and gain life experiences that will be unique, inspiring and ... fun.

That way ... they can be the ones telling others the really cool stories!

No comments: