Friday, January 30, 2009

Did I really strain a butt muscle?


I'm on my kick to get into the healthiest shape I can. This includes: working out at least five days a week, eating fish at least twice, lessening my fat intake, imbibing in only dark chocolate, and a glass of red wine at least once a week. In the summer it will also include using the freshest of seasonal produce courtesy of our CSA membership (we'll see how this first year goes ...). And if I get really motivated, D and I might just put that garden in the backyard.


With the purchase of the Wii this past holiday, I felt like the working out thing might be a little more fun. (I do enjoy the workout DVDs, too, hence the 20+ in our Netflix queue.) Wii Fit is good, but if you are committed and do it for a month straight, you sort of master it and get bored, so I have supplemented with the Wii My Fitness Coach game.


For those not familiar with the Wii My Fitness Coach game, it's the updated Yourself Fitness from Xbox. (Which, yes, I do own.) The difference ... in the time since they updated the game ... it's gotten more intense. Which is great from a workout perspective, but I was completely not prepared. Maya (the personal trainer) truly kicked my butt the second night. I was sweating like nobody's business and so sore the next day. In fact, I didn't realize it until walking my half mile to work from my bus stop ... but I swear I strained my gluteous somehow. It was so sore. Of course, the walk to my office (it really is at least a half mile -- but it's my choice, I could get off two blocks away) worked it out and I was fine by the afternoon.


Oh, well, after the week I had, straining my butt was the worst of my problems. I happen to work for one of the many companies that reduced their workforce (isn't that a nice way of saying laid off folks). It was a very trying week and the weird essence lasted all week, but I'm hoping that Monday is a new day. I wish all those affected the best of wishes in finding something better, something more enriching and something that provides that more satisfaction than just a corporate paycheck. In the word's of Tiny Tim: God Bless Us, Every One.



No comments: