Friday, January 09, 2009

Motherhood and the Joys of a Toddler

My son has learned a new diversion to bedtime. Now, this technique isn't exactly new, but he's just caught on to the glory that it stops everything. He kicks off his blanket and then complains that he's cold. "Please, mommy, put my covers on." He'll say with his cute little impish grin.

Tonight he added the pillow. After he threw it down, he sat up and looked at me and said, "Mommy, where did my pillow go? I lost my pillow." I looked at him, and explained that mommy saw him throw it down. He just laughed, took his pillow from me and then laid down again.

His other favorite bedtime routine right now is repeating parts of his bedtime story, but loudly. I'm reading him a few chapters from The Tale of Despereaux each night. (Yes, it might be a bit advanced for a two-year-old, but he's listening to it and asking me questions, so I'm hoping that maybe he is really a genius -- and not just in mommy and daddy's perspective.) So, there's a part in the book where other mice are declaring "To the dungeon!" It was K's mantra for the next few nights. I have to hope that he wasn't telling other children at school to go to the dungeon during the day.

On an even happier front, his teacher recommended we bring in underwear! Woot! We're so excited, he was on the verge of potty training and then had a small regression and now it seems like he is on full force. D and I have taken a "no pressure" approach to the whole potty training thing, but tried to use lots of positive reinforcement when he has used the potty.

I never thought I'd be a mom. It wasn't in my original life plan. But it is truly the greatest experience I've ever had in my life. When people say they never knew how much they could love until they have children ... well, they're not just saying some cliche, because it's the truth. Your heart becomes so full it could burst at any moment. That is motherhood and the joys of having a toddler.

No comments: