Friday, January 23, 2009

Stress and All Things Corporate

This has been one crazy week at work. Of course, the week started out with a bang with K being sick and all. But it's the week before a very important corporate executive gathering, and as part of my job, I have the pleasure of writing the words that some of those executives will speak. Sometimes you nail it right on ... other times you don't. I've fared better than some of my peers as they work on their monologues, but I have to say it was the first time in a long time this week that I thought I would crack ... crack wide open ... and just give up. Of course, I didn't, but if you looked closely ... you might have seen the yolk in this egg.

It's kind of funny watching people at work. There is always political positioning, self-doubt on display, over-confidence in full swing, and people throw other people under the bus left and right. I've had to talk people down from ledges this week and bring people back to the game. I've also had my own mishaps along the way, saying things I shouldn't. I definitely have committed at least one career-limiting move this week (at least in my mind -- and I'm told I'm too hard on myself -- so I'm hoping that the sun will rise brighter on Monday.)

I wanted the corporate life. I wanted the modest, steady paycheck. The apparent stability. The benefits (have you seen how much health care costs if you buy it on your own?) But what have I given up to enjoy these middle-America luxuries? Sometimes I think my soul. After 8 years in the corporate world, I have gotten a little colder, turned a little more bullish ... and basically returned to what is probably my inherent personality. I tried desperately to rid it in during my college years and when I first entered corporate life. But, maybe I'm just older and wiser and realize if I want to survive in this cat and dog world, I have to get out the claws, too.

I will make sure that K takes the early part of his career and does something crazy and fun, before he gets tied down by the experience of having a more regular paycheck.

1 comment:

acecand said...

i was thinking about something very similar this week as well. When I decide to have children someday, I will encourage them to experience as much as they can...have a crazy, fun job where they might not make as much money, but their happiness will be off the charts.

We were pushed too hard to have a steady job that would pay the bills and be suitable for posting in the yearly christmas letter :)