Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Joy of Being Outnumbered

On Friday, we were formally introduced to the images of our second child. Yes, at 8:15 in the morning, the three of us got all comfy in a dark room and watched as the tech walked us through the images of our ultrasound. K was mildly amused. It felt like it was a long time in a small, dark room and a three-year-old can only handle so much.

She walked through the images of the heart, brain, spine, kidneys, and more. Then K did something that distracted me, so I almost missed when she said "It's a boy." (We had told her at the beginning that yes, we'd be interested in finding out.) The next think I know is K's lower lip sticks out and his chin begins to quiver. "But I wanted a baby sister." And a few big tears roll down his cheeks. Of course, D and I determined that the reason he really wanted a sister was because he is not to big on the whole sharing toys with a brother idea. (Of course, with their age difference, they'll probably be into very different toys for quite some time.)

After a couple days of sharing all the exciting things about having a little brother, K is now very happy about meeting the little guy. And the whole concept of a sister ... well, now we just focus on that we hope he gets more girl cousins as this family will be complete with the new addition come January.

How do I feel about having a second boy? Excited ... little boys are great fun. Of course, I might occasionally look over at the cute frilly dresses and realize that the boys options are not as fun when it comes to clothes and yes, I've become primed on superheroes and football and all things "boy" more than I ever anticipated. But, little boys love their mommies and let's be honest ... D and I can agree on boys names much more easily than we ever could on girl names. Of course, I'm hoping that the second boy potty trains a little earlier with K as his role model. Just 18 more weeks until his expected arrival!

No comments: