Sunday, December 27, 2009

Continuing to Make Progress

Today was another day in the whirlwind. After making the travels to Maple Grove to get to Babies R Us (which, when will that city every learn to plow appropriately?) , we went to the hospital. It took us a little longer to pick out the car seat (we ended up just getting a new travel system because K's stroller is okay, but the stroller that came with the Chicco Keyfit is fabulous. Of course, we looked for a double stroller, but they didn't have one that worked for us and his car set. So, D and I talked about realistically how long will K want to be in a stroller and will we actually be using the Baby Bjorn more for O once he gets big enough. We'll see how this works. We are going to see if we can donate our Combi travel system that we had with K, because it's in perfect condition, we just can't use it with O.

Success story at the hospital today. O's making great progress with the eating. He's still not where he needs to be, but is doing a lot better. He ate 25 grams from me today (we weighed him before and after he nursed) and took another 20 from the bottle afterwards. Breastfeeding is so tough on the little guys. The nurse was super curious how much he ate from me because I am like a lactation machine at the moment, and so she was thinking he might be getting a lot from me before he tired out. I was so excited to see that he got that much from me. (His bottles are of my breast milk, so technically, he's getting all his food from me.) I don't know if it's just my genetics, but the lactation consultant also suggest I drink this product called Nursing Time Tea. Fortunately, I like tea and this stuff tastes pretty good. I have two cups a day, and my production is amazing for only being on the job for seven days.

I'm hoping that he did a great job with eating after we left and through the night. Each day he gets better at eating, the closer he is to coming home. And we just can't wait! It is always interesting how the doctor's tell you the news. His doctor today was the doctor he had on the first day, and she was very nice and sweet when she explained he couldn't come home today. I said that I completely understood, and would rather he come home ready than too early. She looked relieved when I said that and told me how some parents are not always understanding, and get very angry when they can't take their babies home when they want to. I can see why they'd be frustrated (and that was very much D yesterday when we got the news he wasn't coming home yet but talking it through with him, I think he finally saw the light yesterday). But, I'd much rather O be able to come home and not have to be re-admitted in the hospital a few days later.

Soon my little pumpkin will be home!

No comments: