Monday, December 21, 2009

How O Made His Debut

This weekend was unlike any other weekend. And presented itself with a big surprise for the family. It all started Saturday night. I was feeling a little pelvic pressure, but if I shifted my position it would go away. Still, having learned from the past that I tend to wait until the last minute when admitting I'm in serious pain, I decided to call the doctor. At 3 a.m., since the pain would go away when I moved, she thought it was probably just my body getting ready for the birthing process and nothing to be too worried about.

Five hours later, after not getting much sleep, the pain was becoming worse and more frequent ... and it was no longer going away when I moved. So, I called again. This time, she suggested I come in just to check everything out and make sure I was okay. So, at 8:30, I went up to get my husband and said, we have to go in to the hospital. We threw together a suitcase quick, just in case and got K dressed (and we got dressed, too.)

I looked out the window, and of course ... it was snowing! Fortunately, not too bad, but bad enough that we couldn't drive the speed limit. As we drove, the pain got increasingly worse, it wasn't quite like the contractions I remembered with K, but it was the horrible being split in half pain that I remembered. D dropped me off at the Emergency drop-off and I was wheeled to triage. He went and parked the car and he and K would meet me there.

In triage, they hooked me up to their monitors and then the nurse checked my cervix. Now, I am telling you, I've never seen someone grab the phone so fast ... All I heard her say was, "I have someone who is complete, all I feel is a bulging bag of waters, we're bringing her down." The next thing I know, I'm being wheeled to the delivery room. And yes, amidst all this, I'm crying because the pain is so intolerable. God bless the nurses, as they tried to reassure me. I just kept saying, it just hurts. The doctor came in, broke my water and then I was told whenever I need to push - PUSH.

Of course, doing this whole scene from a LifeTime movie (because that is what it felt like to me, too surreal to be actually happening) K was on the floor coloring and entertaining himself. The perfect three-year-old when his mommy is sitting their in agony. Of course, everything was too fast for me to get any pain medication and I do think it is the most excruciating pain known to humans. I cannot believe how painful it was. There is nothing I can say that is comparable. After what I am told was only 15 minutes of pushing (but felt like an eternity and I swear I screamed so loud that whole floor could hear me because, really, in some strange animalisitic way, the screaming helped) baby O made his debut. Five weeks early, he weighed in at five pounds.

He's doing exceptionally well in the NICU right now, and of course D and I cannot believe we made such another beautiful baby boy. He's absolutely precious and makes your heart swell with love. K has been an unbelievably well-behaved child in the hospital, and D told me I am able to go and hold him when I go and visit him next, so I am very excited. I'm just waiting for D to take his shower, so that I can take one and then it's off to visit my boy!

4 comments:

acecand said...

maybe not the best title for this blog...google it. :)

but, I'm a happy auntie and so so excited to see him!

Becky Nance said...

Yeah Hooray! Congrats to you and your family! Glad to hear he is doing well! I do concur with Candace's comment about the title ;-)

KK said...

Congrats Brandy. Sorry for the NICU stay, but it sounds like you will all be together soon.

Noreen said...

Wow! congratulations! A christmas present for the whole family! Hoping you and O are doing well!