Saturday, January 23, 2010

Butterball

My little men already have each other's backs. Okay, more precisely, K is already very much a big protective brother. D preceded to tell me that the mega protein shakes that we've been feeding O (aka breast milk fortified with special preemie formula per the pediatrician) are definitely working because he's become a chubby baby. Of course, anyone who's seen their baby super skinny in the NICU incubator waits for the day that they consider their baby chubby. So, anyway back to the original thought. When K heard his dad call his brother "a butterball," he quickly came to his defense.

"Do not call my brother a butterball!" It made us laugh and I commended K for having his brother's back and making sure that no one teases him, including his daddy. This then affirmed for K that he was in fact the greatest big brother ever. It will be interesting to watch them both grow and see how they continue to form their relationship throughout the years. Will they be competitive? Will they be supportive? What will be the things that draw them closer or distance them? I know that D and I hope that they grow into the best of friends and cultivate a kinship that is solid. We'll try to foster it as much as we can, but know that we also need to give them the room to develop the relationship on their own.

Speaking of my littlest man. It's hard to believe that my due date is technically still two days away and yet, here he is five weeks old. He's smiling back at us now (of course, I think he actually smiles at D more than me, I'll attribute it to that maybe he thinks daddy is funnier looking.) And he's degree of cooing indicates that he will probably be as much of a chatterbox as his big brother. My house will never be quiet again. Never. Well... at least not for another 18 years!

1 comment:

pearl said...

Love it...and yeah for Kieran, sliding into his role as big brother.