Friday, January 29, 2010

Whoopie Pies

Dessert in general is a wonderful, wonderful thing. Portable desserts are extra wonderful, because you can indulge almost anywhere. Now, the cupcake is hard to beat when it comes to portable desserts, but I have another secret dessert love. The whoopie pie. This creme-filled cake delight is perfection. Last year, I found a recipe for Strawberry Whoopie Pies from the guys of Baked. It was the most amazing treat in the world. D couldn't believe his taste buds. It was rich and decadent. You wanted to eat more than one due to the luscious strawberry taste ... but you knew you couldn't. (They really are rich!)

The current issue of Food Network Magazine includes a Red Velvet Whoopie Pie recipe. I think I have gone to food heaven. K and I will be making them this weekend, and I cannot wait. The recipe looks easier than the traditional red velvet cake recipe I use (though, that is some divine cake.) And when you have a mini chef helping, you know you can't go wrong.

The one thing I noticed about both these recipes is that they are featured as Valentine's Day treats. Which brings me to the question - what is it about whoopie pies that correlate with Valentine's Day? Is it that they are so yummy (and a bit of a time commitment) that you only want to make them for those you really love? Perhaps. Or maybe it's that the yummy creme-filled center and spongy cakes are the pinnacle of love as food. And let's be honest, they get their name because that's what you want to yell as you bite into one!



3 comments:

becky said...

martha stewart has a yummy chocolate/peanut butter whoopie pie....

KK said...

Are you really pondering the correlation between Valentine's Day and whoopie?

Brandy said...

Ah ... KK ... the answer was so obvious I clearly missed it!