Monday, July 12, 2010

And So It Begins

Ever since K was born, we've gone back and forth on if we should get him into modeling, commercials, etc. Let's face it, the kid has a personality that is larger than life, and he's pretty darn cute. (And I can tell that O is the exact same way.) I've tended to shy away from using my son for commercial purposes (and working at the Big Company, I've had lots of opportunities, but none ever felt right.)

So, when a local yoga company put out a call for kids ages 2 -8 for a yoga book and flashcards, I thought, what the heck. Let's just try it. We dressed K up in a mash of modern Punky Brewster, per the requirements and stopped by the open audition. Since this was our first time, I really didn't know what to expect. We were also racing against the clock, because it took a little longer to get D out of the house and we had O's six-month check up.

The woman in front of us was talking up her daughter and the next thing I heard the woman say was, "And what agency is she with?" My pulse quickened. Agency? Seriously, our competition has an agency? I brushed it off and helped K go through doing the yoga routine and being videotaped and then his Polaroid (it really was an experience like the go-sees on America's Next Top Model.) D filled out the paperwork and then we were off. We were told we'd be notified if our child was selected.

On the way to the doctor's office, I gave K my very professional slant on that his being selected would depend on the demographics that needed to be filled from an age perspective, boys/girls ratio and the right diverse/ethnic mix they wanted for the project. I told him that since he was somewhat racially ambiguous, it could go either way for him and that we'd just have to wait and see.

Last night, we got the email sharing the names of the children selected ... halfway down the list there was his name. At first, I couldn't believe it, because let's be honest, we were going against kids with agencies. But, clearly his personality and the fact that he had the CEO laughing during his audition was a huge help. Now we have to get ready for his styling appointment on Wednesday, get his yoga pose assignments and help him master them and then pray that he listens the day of the shoot. It's a lot of pressure. I'm not sure D and I are ready for this kind of lifestyle ... well, it's just one shoot ... so I guess before we get all carried away, we should see how this one goes. But NYC might not be that far away.

1 comment:

pearl said...

No way! What a fun opportunity. Keiran and all his energy will be great in front of the camera.