Saturday, July 17, 2010

Toxicity

I've sort of been at a loss for words lately by the amount of toxicity that I'm seeing oozing around the workplace environment. Granted, I'm younger than most people think I am, and I've been very careful to protect my age in the workplace. I'd rather people think I'm ten years older than I am than question how I've gained my wisdom at the age I may be. (Of course, I am hoping that my age ambiguity is due to my extreme old soul and maturism and not that I look ten years older than I am.)

Anyhow, back to my point. I have been amazed at the amount of bad attitudes. Even with my sour attitude, I've tried to hide it as best I can and only share with a few select people how I am actually feeling. But low and behold, Thursday I got a full on dose of toxicity. And we are talking monumental dose. I was amazed at the entitlement, the negative reflections, the downright nastiness I encountered throughout the day. Is this what the economy has down to the corporate work environment, return us to the toxicity of the 80's days of Working Girl and Bonfire of the Vanities? (Okay, Melanie Griffith is personally grateful for those days, because it gave her two breakout roles and launched her down a path that would one day find her in the arms of Antonia Banderas - good for you, Mel!!)

Alas, I was thinking it was a generational thing ... but I can't actually do that because there were people who were older than me. So, I will just close my eyes and hope for greener pastures and attitudes on Monday.

No comments: