Monday, July 05, 2010

The Blink of an Eye

We have now entered July. It's crazy. I can't believe we are more than halfway through the year. The year didn't start out exactly like I planned. I had thought I'd be ringing in the new year with a belly in my baby, not one that had just been out of the NICU for two days. I didn't know my job would change so dramatically and I'd be in constant reflection on what I want for the rest of my life. And time is just whipping by so quickly ... it's a good reminder to hold on and savor every moment.

That's why I relish extended holidays. Why I now understand why so many people at work save up their vacation time so they can take the last two weeks of December off every year. This weekend gave me lots of time with my family. And once again I was so amazed by the blessings I have in my two little men. K's intellect astounds me every day and I can't believe my little baby is a little  man. And O is defying all the parameters he can that surround being premature. He may not be reaching the milestones on the schedule in the baby books, but he's making every effort to reach the milestones when he's ready.

My  husband impressed me with his ability to join a complete stranger in a fishing tournament because he thought it was better to do so than leave the poor guy without a partner. And I think it was his way of getting a break from everything else and just zoning. While I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted, I did get to relax and invent new games to play with my sons that cause them to build amazing stories from their imagination. I got some sun and pool time. We tried ground Emu (pretty good, if I say so myself since I was the chef.) and I finished two books (woohoo four-hour car rides and the fact that D doesn't like my driving.)

All in all, it was a pleasant way to kick-start the second-half of the year. I've extended my holiday weekend an extra day so I can watch K play soccer, have lunch with a friend, go to the library and just enjoy one more day of bliss.

No comments: